Tuesday, January 24, 2012

100th Day Freebie

This may be too late for some of you, but every year I read Beatrice's Goat to my students and discuss how lucky we are to be able to celebrate a one hundredth day of school because some children don't get to attend school as easily as we do.

This is a true story about a young girl who actually came to visit all of the education majors at Clemson when I was there.  We were lucky enough to get a copy of the book signed by her!  It's a great story to teach your children appreciation for what they sometimes don't even realize is a privilege- attending school!  This year I made a handout that I will try with my students.  They are probably going to work in pairs.  We'll take a tour around the school stopping in each of the 10 locations on the handout.  The two students will help each other quickly write or draw/sketch 10 things they are thankful to have in their school that other students might not have in rural countries.  I am thinking we'll start out with words and then head into quick sketches.  I want them to see that they have way more than 100 things to be thankful for in our school!  We are a very blessed school to say the least!  I'm talking down to the tile floors and windows; things that rural countries don't have.  We always discuss what it would be like to be Beatrice in this story and have to go to school all day on dirt floors!  The kids are always stunned!



Click on the party hat to grab your free copy!  Enjoy! :)


1 comment:

  1. I just tagged you in a post. Come check it out...
    http://dillydabbles.blogspot.com/2012/01/kristin-over-at-little-miss-glamour.html

    DillyDabbles

    ReplyDelete